Monday, September 26, 2011

Living for moments like these...


Honesty… Reality… getting out of your comfort zone… waking up to what really God wants for your life… stop being selfish… being confident in who I really am… these are thoughts that keep running through my mind. I want to be something more for the kingdom of God and make a difference in peoples lives. Am I really following the will of God for my life?

Today I was able to go to a nearby village with some people to put on a little bible school for the kids. It was an amazing experience and it made me realize that I am in the right place. The moment we pulled up the kids were waving and screaming in excitement. I stepped out of the car and began shaking hands with about 30 kids. They brought chairs out for us and we sat under this shaded area. I counted almost 60 kids sitting on benches with big smiles on their faces.  I started to take pictures and just watched as the Pastor (who we brought with us) lead some songs in their tribal language and the kids were so excited. They danced, clapped, and sang with such joy.
The Pastor told the kids how Jesus is with them and is their friend. When he was done the kids were able to do a craft. They were supposed to draw a picture of them with Jesus. It was adorable to see their faces light up when they saw markers- they never get to use markers or crayons or do art projects. A little girl was beside who was probably 4 years old and I motioned her to come to me. She had no idea even how to hold the marker so I put her hand in mine and we drew a picture of her with Jesus. She smiled and kept that picture close to her. I walked around and told the kids that their pictures were beautiful and took some more pictures. Then we got to take a picture with them. They all piled up with two girls from Germany (who I am serving with) and I.

After we finished the service the Pastor of the village had us come into the dirt floored church to drink coffee and eat bread. The Pastor who came with us started asking us questions like where are you from and what not. He translated for the village Pastor in thanking us for our time. I started to tear up as I said it was a pleasure and blessing to even be in the presence of these children. They asked me how long I was staying and I told them that after this trip that I will be moving back to Mexico. The village Pastor said, “we need a full-time missionary here in this village.” My heart ached from that comment—So, many people need help but so many of us are not answering the call that God is sending.


I started talking the Germany girls, Anne and Judith, and I told them that if God told me to move to a village here that I would but that I would need His complete strength to do it because they do not have electricity or running water… and you would be living in a hut with a dirt floor constantly. That would very much out of a comfort zone. I am honestly open to whatever God has in store for my life and He will reveal to me even more in time exactly what He has. I need to keep remembering to live for today and not just for tomorrow. Moments like today with those kids in the village or hugging the babies in the baby room are the moments I live for. 

My mom and I decided to sponsor one of the babies from this orphanage and I love her so much. Her name is Marie and my heart just melts every time I see her. So many of these children need sponsored on a monthly basis so they can have food, clothes, medical care, and go to school. Pray about what God is laying on your heart. I am really working hard on trying to get people to sponsor these beautiful children and to help this orphanage/ministry.

God is here and working. Islam is HUGE here in Burkina Faso. I heard that about 85% of the country is Muslim. The other day I was in the capital and I saw streets that were blocked off and hundreds of people were kneeling on mats in lines praying to their god. It was intense to see. Every night we hear a Muslim man praying loudly in a microphone system of some sort from a temple nearby the orphanage.

I praise the Lord that He brought me here. I can feel that He has a plan. Thank you for your prayers. God is good and faithful. My selfishness gets a hold of me sometimes and I think ahhhh it’s hot and I am so sweaty… or why am I sick… Or I am tired of getting bug bites… or I wish that I could have a diet coke haha but I keep remembering that I am here for the Lord and I don’t need anything but Him.

“Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.”- Ephesians 6:10

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tenielle!

    Great blog. I am so glad that you are here. Live everyday to the fullest, in Him.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! Keep the blog updated so we can share these precious moments with you!
    love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete